Wednesday, January 22, 2014

End of day 3

The day is ending better than it began. We finally made it out of the ICU and onto the floor. We were told this morning that we would be transferred before lunch, but a message sent wasn't received that Brady was in need of a bed on the surgical floor. One of Brady's nurses from his early days (infant stay,who we adore) went to check things out and resolved the communication error. We made it to his new room by 5'ish. We love the new room. We have a room with a window, although the air quality is terrible, it's just nice to see outside.  The room is twice as large as the one we left, it's own personal bathroom, a bed for me to sleep in, a place for all our stuff and no crazy visiting hours.  We are happy. We will be thrilled when we get to go home.  As I've been typing this the tech just came in and made up my bed for me. I'll say it again, we are happy to be on the floor. 

Brady has had a great day. He started the morning out with pancakes, bacon, sausage and strawberries. He asked to sit in a chair and played hospital bingo there. After 2 hours he got back in bed and continued to sit up and build Lego kits.  While putting together the puzzle he won in hospital bingo the pain got the best of him and he shut down. He received some extra pain meds and laid low the rest of the afternoon catching a nap or two.  He did get a visit from Addison and Katie for a little bit during that time.

Shortly after making it to his new room Brady's friend Dani and her mom (my good friend) came to visit and also Brady's awesome 4th grade teacher made the long drive as well. We truly love the visits from healthy friends because it helps break up a long day. My college roommate came yesterday and I was very grateful to her for that. She was able to help me move my stuff to our new location in the ICU.  

To finish the day off Brady will be getting cleaned up and hopefully this will lead to a restful nights sleep except when we get woken up for meds every three hours and a trip down stairs to have a chest X-Ray at 5 am.  Oh the life of a heart kid in the hospital. 

I do need to mention another miracle that has taken place. Some of you are aware that I have been battling with nerve pain caused by a bulging disc for several months. I've been seeing a chiropractor and have been making progress, but haven't been symptom free yet.  I sleep at home mostly on my back with a good pillow to avoid numbness in my finger tips or my arm feeling electric shocks radiating down my arm. Nights have gotten better over time, but only with carefully chosen sleeping positions. That was until Monday. I've been sleeping with what the hospital calls pillows, in chairs and recliners (not comfy ones).  I've slept in whatever position I could. I should be in complete pain, yet I am not. I have been very worried abou how sleeping would go for me. I know my prayers have been heard and answered for both Brady and myself. If when I go home and the pain is there again, I will be okay because I didn't have to suffer while I'm here tending to Brady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment